Friday, February 12, 2010

Couples Retreat: Blu-ray (2009)


I hated this movie. It sucked hard and not in the good way where I can make fun of it. It was almost 2 hours of completely unfunny situations with completely unfunny characters played by actors who in the past have been funny. While I'm not a gigantic fan of Vince Vaughn, I do find him to be fairly humorous and occasionally hilarious. Same with John Favreau. I do absolutely love Jason Bateman (well maybe not Teen Wolf 2). Based on previews, I didn't have very high expectations for Couples Retreat but with the people involved I thought there was the potential for some laughs here. I was wrong.

There's no point in giving a plot summary since you can probably figure it out by the cover of the Blu-ray. A few couples travel to "paradise" in an attempt to rekindle their failing or dwindling romances, hilarity ensues. That's all there is to it and the hilarity never ensues.

The movie is WAY too long and takes forever to get going. All the actresses are given nothing to do besides pout and attempt to look attractive. The final 3rd is a horrible attempt at heartfelt romance and Guitar Hero plays a vital role in the plot. The worst part is nothing funny happens. There are some attempts at outrageous humor but they all fail miserably. The only slightly positive things in the movie are that some of the minor supporting roles had the ability to entertain but by the time they were on screen I had already checked out. Did I mention I hated this movie.

On the plus side the Blu-ray is really well put together. The tropical setting showcases a ton of colors and they look great in high def. The audio as well is great and even though it's mostly dialogue when music comes on and during the few times surrounds are used it's very effective.

I hated this movie.

Ratings
Movie 1/5
Blu-ray 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment