Friday, March 12, 2010

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club: Beat the Devil's Tattoo (2010)


Black Rebel Motorcycle Club started off as a kick ass garage rock band for their first 2 albums, 2000's B.RM.C. and 2003's Take Them on Your Own. For a while they were thought to be the saviors of rock. Their 3rd album, 2005's Howl, was a huge change as it was an album of americana/folk rock before going back to the garage for 2007's Baby 81. Their latest album mixes both styles with an emphasis on the heavier side. It's their best and most complete album yet.

If you want flat out rock there's "Conscience Killer" and "Mama Taught Me Better" for a softer folk there's "Sweet Feeling" and "Toll." Most of the album falls somewhere in the middle with "Bad Blood" and "River Styx" being standouts. They also venture into a sort of delta blues with the Title track. The album closer "Half-State" is B.R.M.C.'s most ambitious track ever recorded. It's 10.5 minutes that mixes everything that makes the album great into one.

B.R.M.C. still wear their influences (Jesus & Mary Chain, Stone Roses) proudly and openly and they will never be considered a deep lyrical band but they are very good at what they do. While never living up to the expectations they faced early in their career, they have never before released an album as eclectic and exciting as this. If you have never heard them before Beat the Devil's Tattoo is the perfect time to start.

Rating: 4/5

5 comments:

  1. I was just about to tweet about how much I dislike this band until I read your post. I'll agree that they're good at what they do (making raunchy garage rock), however, they may just be the stupidest band currently making music. They write the same shtick over and over, and steal from so many sources that they lack any hint of an original idea. I love stupid garage rock as much as anyone else, and there's no reason I shouldn't like this band. But god dammit, I can't get past how awful their lyrics are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My only real lyrical requirement is to not feel like an asshole if I'm singing along and these guys have never gotten to Nickelback or Hinder levels of that. Also if originality was my main requirement in music I wouldn't be listening to 95% of what I do. I like these guys quite a bit but they do have their shortcomings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are absolutely true about the originality thing. I guess I just hate garage bands that are/were on major labels. Garage rock is only good if it's sloppy and low budget, in my opinion. It's the same reason I've always hated the White Stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, Beat the Devil's Tattoo may just be the worst album name ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Devil's Tattoo is Jesus wrapped in an American flag flying on a Bald Eagle. I don't know how anyone would expect to beat that.

    ReplyDelete