Friday, January 21, 2011

The Aquabats!: Hi-Five Soup! (2011)


If you've never heard the Aquabats! music before, the cover of their new album, Hi Five Soup!, sums up their sound pretty well. Also consider their habit of adding exclamation points to the end of all their song titles, the fact that their lead singer is the creator of the children's show Yo Gabba Gabba! and that they have always maintained a superhero mythology and you'll get a even clearer picture of what's in store. The Aquabats! started out in the mid-90's as a 3rd wave ska band but over the years they have dropped their horn section and became a synth-based new wave inspired band. Think of a less serious Devo (if that's possible).

The Aquabats! have always walked a fine line between outrageous fun and obnoxiousness and I've generally found them to fall on the latter side of that line. Hi-Five Soup! is no exception. Songs like "B.F.F.!," "My Homies!," "Poppin' a Wheelie!" and "Food Fight on the Moon!" all are high energy tracks with strong melodies that also have the chance to drive a listener crazy if you don't buy in all the way. Rapper Biz Markie makes a appearance on the faux-reggae of "Radio Down!" (that quotes "Dancing With Myself") and although it's my favorite track on the album, I wouldn't want to hear it on a consistent basis. The rest of the songs follow the same blueprint and while I like that they don't take themselves seriously, it's all a bit much to take in at once.

At this point in my life I think it's safe to say I'll never be a big fan of the Aquabats!. I won't say that they're a terrible band. They know how to make "fun" music that will appeal to a select fan base that just doesn't happen to include me. If you're already a fan of the band then Hi-Five Soup!, will probably appeal to you. If not, they're a band best served in small doses.


Rating: 2/5


Track Listing:

1. "The Shark Fighter!" (2:57)
2. "B.F.F.!" (3:20)
3. "The Legend Is True!" (3:21)
4. "Radio Down!" (3:32)
5. "Poppin' a Wheelie!" (2:16)
6. "Hey Homies!" (3:05)
7. "In My Dreams!" (3:05)
8. "Just Can't Lose!" (3:40)
9. "All My Money!" (2:49)
10. "Pink Pants!" (2:41)
11. "Food Fight on the Moon!" (2:39)
12. "Luck Dragon Lady" (3:47)


No comments:

Post a Comment