Monday, March 28, 2011

Blowup: 1966


Blowup was famed Italian director Michelangelo Antonioni's first English speaking film, easily his biggest international hit and is considered one of the finest art-house films of all time and certainly the 60's. It inspired such fine films as Francis Ford Collpola's The Conversation and Brian De Palma's Blow Out. It was with these expectations in mind that I was expecting to be blown away. Whether it was due to my current mood, my exposure to the other films it inspired or my heightened expectations, I was not. Blowup is still a fine film and well worth anyone's time but It didn't strike me as a masterpiece. There are a lot of good things to be found in this study of memory, boredom and the fleeting joys of physical pleasure and while those themes (as well as a couple rather risqué sexual scenes) are welcome, the actual murder mystery was only partially satisfying. I have a feeling that a second viewing will greatly improve my take on Blowup but for now I can't give it an outstanding recommendation.

Rating: 3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment