Friday, March 18, 2011

The Fighter: Blu-ray (2010)


I had The Fighter fourth on my list of the best movies of 2010 and after watching it again, I think that's still about right. It's a fantastic movie film that in a lot of other years would have likely been number one but 2010 was a strong year for films. The story is gripping and triumphant, the acting is absolutely phenomenal (Christain Bale and Melissa Leo won Oscars while Amy Adams easily could have, Mark Wahlberg is steady and gives the film it's grounding) and David O Russel's direction is straight forward and rock solid. I have a few small nitpicks but they're hardly worth getting into and none of them bothered me at all the second time through. I'm not going to go much deeper since I assume anyone who reads this has either already seen it, or is going to very soon. It's just a fantastic film.

The blu-ray presentation of The Fighter is a great representation of the theatrical experience without being a knock your socks off home theater experience. The transfer shows great detail, proper color scheme and consistent grain. It looks almost exactly like I remember it from the theater  and that's really all one can ask for in a blu-ray. The Audio track is largely dialogue driven and that dialogue comes through loud and clear. When the soundscape does open up in the boxing scenes and for the soundtrack, it does so with great clarity and just enough oomph to keep the viewer satisfied.

If you saw The Fighter in theaters and loved it, there's no reason not to pick up the blu-ray. It was just as good the second time watching it and I suspect replay value for this film will remain high. If you haven't seen The Fighter, what is wrong with you?

Ratings:

Movie: 5
Blu-ray: 4.5

No comments:

Post a Comment