Friday, March 4, 2011

Hope and Glory (1987)


I don't know what it is about Hope and Glory that I just couldn't into. This film about a child's view of London being bombed during WWII is acceleratingly funny, touching, and frightening. By all accounts it is a wonderful film, except mine. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Hope and Glory but it never blew me away or completely drew me in. It's been a few days and I'm having trouble recalling experiencing any sort of emotional reaction from a film that's obviously meant to elicit one. Director John Boorman has made some great films in his life (particularly Point Blank and Deliverance and I guess Zardoz if only for the freak factor) and Hope and Glory is his most personal. I actually feel bad that I didn't like it more than I did.

Rating: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment