Monday, July 13, 2009

Bruno (2009)


Forget Brokeback Mountain this is the gayest movie I have ever seen, I mean that in a very good way. Bruno will always be compared to Sacha Baron Cohen's other character Borat. Bruno was my least favorite character on Da Ali G Show and I don't think the movie Bruno is as good as Borat was but it's still undeniably funny. Cohen once again proves to be absolutely fearless, his willingness to do literally anything is remarkable.

The plot doesn't matter, everything is an excuse to push the envelope and Bruno does just that. From early scenes involving some very inventive ways to sodomize a pygmy (all consensual) to hitting on Ron Paul or parading around while being locked in a sort of homo love trap, Bruno does not fail. I don't know how they got this movie rated "R."

It's not just about shock humor though as the movie also looks at our obsession with celebrity and the actual hatred behind homophobia. We see what some parents are willing to do with their infant's just for the chance for their baby to be a star. I don't want to give away anything so there will not be details given out but it's pretty shocking.

No one is given a bigger send up than the folks who attended "Straight Dave's Man Slammin' Max Out" a small MMA type event meant to celebrate "everything hetro." These folks get quite the surprise.

There are tons of other jokes through out the movie and not everything is golden. The hits are mostly home runs and not a lot of singles and I was rolling in my seat on more than one occasion. I would assume that you already know if you're going to like Bruno or not and if you think you will you're not going to be disappointed. It's not the funniest movie I've ever seen but well worth the trip.

Rating 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment