Sunday, July 5, 2009

Elvis Costello at Taste of Minnesota


Before I get into the actual concert I'd like to point out the stupidity of the "gold circle" seats. They were less than half full which had the band playing to 3 rows of people, then a big empty spot, then everyone else. It's gotta suck some of the energy out of the performance and be disappointing to the artists.

Aside from that the show went really well. The band was tight and Elvis' voice was in good form. He seemed to sing a bit behind the band as well but I've seen that on his dvd's as well so I assume it's intentional.

I've never thought of Costello as being a festival type performer since I don't think a lot of people know his music very well. He seems like he plays to a select fan base not the masses. The set list reflected this as well, it was mostly songs that people are going to at least recognize if not know. Pump it Up, Watching the Detectives, Radio Radio, Peace Love Understanding and Alison all got played along with a couple songs from the new album with a few snippets of covers thrown in.

I enjoyed the show but I'd also really like to see a Elvis concert in a more intimate setting with a dedicated fan base, I can only assume the energy would be higher and that Elvis himself would have a bit more interaction with the crowd. I'm going to drop the rating a bit based more on the venue than the performance.

Rating 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment