Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Rolling Stones, Some Girls (1978)

The older I get the more I become a "classicist." Certain albums and movies I would not have given the time to 5 years ago are now among my favorites. Some Girls is a great example of this.
Recorded at the height of Disco and Punk in 1978 the Stones fight back with one of their finest albums ever. Mostly made up oh hard rock, presumably to combat punk, they throw out "When the Whip Comes Down", "Lies", "Respectable", and "Before They Make Me Run" (sung by Keith). They also have time to make their own "disco" songs with "Miss You" and "Shattered." The title track displays some good ol' fashioned misogyny, and I mean that in the best way possible, while "Far Away Eyes" is a great take on country. The real star is "Beast of Burden" perhaps the best ballad the stones ever recorded. " Beast of Burden" is the prime example of my evolving musical taste (I used to hate it). The guitar interplay between Keith and Ronnie Wood is amazing and Mick sings his heart out. Some Girls grows on me every time I hear it now taking it's place in my top 5 Stones albums.

RAting 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment