Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Yakuza (1974)

I watched The Yakuza for 3 reasons
1) It was the first screenplay by Paul Schrader to be made into a movie, two years before Taxi Driver which is one my top 5 movies of all time(this week)
2)It was directed by Sidney Pollack
3)It stars Robert Mitchum, who's movies I've been watching in droves the last 2 weeks.

I was happy with the movie but not really impressed. Mithum is excellent as an aging tough guy and Takakura Ken is great as well. This may have hit harder in 1974 when Japanese culture was not as prevalant in American movies as it is today. There's lots of talk about honor and some pretty intense fight scenes but nothing really blew me away. I'm having trouble finding things to say, good or bad, about the film so I'll just leave it at that.

Rating 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment