Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Catch-22 (1970)


Based on the Joseph Heller novel (which I have not read) Mike Nichols film is a look at the lives of a WWII Air Force squadron. The cast is incredibly well known with names like Alan Arkin, Martin Balsam, Martin Sheen, Bob Newhart, Art Garfunkel, Anthony Perkins, Jon Voight, Orson Welles, Bob Balaban and Charles Grodin. Arkin is the definite lead with everyone else playing supporting roles and he delivers a great performance. The movie itself doesn't follow a linear structure and there isn't much in the way of plot. It's mostly just flashbacks and forwards about Arkin's character trying to get out of duty. Essentially a satire about military bureaucracy, I found it to be hilarious. It balances it's more over the top moments really well with some moments of drama to keep it grounded. The movie has aged very well with it's structure being a lot more accepted now than in 1970. I'm sad that it took me this long to watch this movie and now I must read the book as well. I highly recommend Catch-22.

Rating 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment