Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix: Blu-ray (2007)


I finally made it through all the Harry Potter movies right in time for Half Blood Prince to hit theaters. I enjoyed the series far more than I thought I would and especially the 3rd, 4th and 5th volumes. Order of the Phoenix is the aforementioned 5th film and I've been told is generally held in slightly less regard by hardcore Potter fans, I disagree.

I enjoyed Order of the Phoenix just as much as the 4th film, Goblet of Fire and only slightly less than the 3rd, Prisoner of Azkaban. As in the other films in the series the older the main cast gets the darker and more adult the movies become. I'm generally predisposed to that sort of thing so maybe that explains my taste in these movies as well.

I really have enjoyed watching Daniel Radcliff mature as an actor, one of my favorite things about this series has been watching him grow and be able to really convey emotions that just weren't there in the beginning. The other young actors don't get as much meat as Radcliff but they are very good at playing these characters as well.

This one didn't have as much humor to alleviate the darker aspects and that may be why some Potter fans don't care for it as much. Also the book is longest in the series and it's the shortest movie so I suppose there are lots of moments left out that certain fans feel are very important. Since I haven't read the books these things do not concern me.

The Blu-ray is the best of the series. The video has more definition and depth and is pretty much reference quality. The audio is the most powerful of the movies as well. It mixes subtlety in when needed and the action scenes roar.

I really enjoyed Order of the Phoenix and I'll probably end up seeing Half Blood Prince in theaters (a first for me). I'm not even embarrassed to say it.

Rating
Movie 4/5
Blu-ray 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment